Gd has been frequenting this place for a long time and swears that it beats the Ampang Yong Tau Foo flat. I was a little sceptical, taking into account that the Ampang YTF is pretty good, freshly fried on order (or at least some of the places in Ampang still do this). How much better can the Puchong YTF be ?
Well I found out recently that it is A LOT better than the Ampang places I've tried before. Here's a few reasons:-
1. The YTF is only stuffed on order. You pick your choice of fresh ingredients such as brinjal, lady's finger, fu chook, chilli etc in a small plastic basket. Everything looks fresh. An 'army' of 'stuffers' gets the job of stuffing the ingredients with fish paste done in a jiffy.
2. The freshly stuffed YTF is then fried by a second 'army' of 'fryers'.
3. The taufoo and other soup items are quickly thrown in a boiling fish stock and a handful of sayur manis (sweet vegetable ??) is thrown in to enhance the taste of the soup.
4. The fried YTF reaches your table whilst crispy, especially the foo chuk (stuffed soy bean paste sheets). Other crispy items include the fried wan tan, fried stuffed yau char kway (crullers),
5. Their sweet sauce and chilli sauce are specially made and are thick and tasty.
6. Service is always fast, even when the place is crowded (which is every weekend and public holidays).
The soup is very tasty and I learnt from Gd (who has been chatting with the owners) that they use the ikan parang fish bones to make the fish stock. And the fish paste is nice and springy (a sign that it is fresh and lots of fish has been used) and you actually taste the fish in the paste. Each YTF cost RM1.00.
You can have the YTF with rice, noodles or pan mee (handmade noodles). They do a pretty good curry mee here using thick chicken curry. I love dunking in some crispy fu chook to soak up the curry. There are many Hakka people living in the Puchong and Seri Kembangan area so the quality of their YTF is generally pretty good since YTF is synonymous with the Hakka people.
The food is good enough to get us to take the 30 minute drive from Kajang for some good YTF.
Location : Batu 14, Jalan Besar, Kg Baru Puchong opposite the SRJK(C) Han Ming.